Saturday, May 15, 2010 @ 6:24 PM Author: clarinda

Spending my first step into adulthood in UK was something I had expected from the moment I signed on the dotted line. I was not expecting much from everyone that I knew as it was during the exam period. Nonetheless, the surprises that I received throughout the day makes my 21st birthday celebration a memorable one.

Shortly after midnight, as I was intending to turn in for the night, there was a knock on my door. I thought that it was Steph who came up to say happy birthday. It was such a pleasant surprise to see Steph, Aimi and Aesha at my door with a birthday cake with (I do not know how many, but guess that it is 21) candles. It took me a while to finish blowing out those candles. I was obviously in the dark when they entered the house. If they had entered the house from the back door, I would have known. I was really happy and touched that they came over at midnight and gave me the surprise. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! ♥

The cake was huge and I forced them to finish it with me. If I were to keep the cake, I would have ballooned. After all, should I not spread the joy and fats among us. haha =D The cake was good! I ended up going to bed feeling fat and unhealthy, but happy and touched.

For dinner, I have invited a group of close friends to celebrate my 21st with me. I could have actually invited more people along. Nevertheless it was during the exam period and having this group of close friends to celebrate with me is sufficient. Choosing to have dinner at Frankie and Bennys (Selly Oak) was a deliberate choice as well. I supposed that everyone should be busy with revision at this time of the year, and I would have felt bad if I made them travel somewhere far for dinner. Coincidentally, there were three other people who were celebrating their birthday there as well. This meant that the lights were off three times. My friends were so smart and nice to ride on that and sang me a birthday song on each occasion. The fourth time was my turn, and there I was busy taking photos. Truthfully speaking, I knew that it was mine because I saw the cake coming towards my direction. Oops..haha. I made a wish and blew the candle. Before blowing the candle, I was coerced into singing the national anthem, Majulah Singapura. It was intentional!! I ended up just singing one line, thanks to Ai Lin who said that that I can do just that. Then I did the most embarrassing thing. I sang wrongly! It should be Majulah Singapura (Onward Singapore), but I sang Marilah Singapura (Come Singapore). I do not even know where to hide my face. I feel like digging a hole and hide myself in there. How can I even count myself a Singaporean? As most of them were Malaysians, they did not spot the mistake. Deep down, I felt a strong sense of guilt as a Singaporean. I am really and sincerely sorry towards Singapore. I feel that I should be brave to admit my mistake, a strong reminder that I should never ever let this happen again =(

Subsequently, I was made to remove the ultra short candle from the cake using my mouth. Do you know what does this meant? It means that the instant you try to remove the candle, your face will be smashed into the cake. Hence while nobody was looking, I quickly remove the candle using my mouth. GUESS WHAT?? They said that there was not counted and I had to do it AGAIN!! OH NO!! Ultimately I did it and my face was smashed into the cake. Thank goodness the cake was not extremely creamy and Suresh did not push my head down too deeply =D

I went to the toilet to wash up after that and came back finding two more cakes. This time the cakes were meant for eating. Then again, they sang the birthday song. I tried cutting the cake normally, but they said that I should try holding the knife in a murderous way to cut the cake. I happily obliged them, only to find that the cake was rather frozen. How great is that?! They must have knew it when they requested that I cut the cake in that manner. Thanks to Timothy and Suresh for helping me to cut the two cakes. Apparently, the cake that my face was smashed into was the most sumptuous one among the three. Oh well. After we left the restaurant, I expressed my gratitude towards them and they sang the birthday song for the sixth time. OMG!! I was really, extremely, super, ultra MOVED!! Thanks Allen for loaning his huge and professional camera for my 21st, and CX Tee for being the photographer, taking countless of candid shots (albeit unglamorous ones as well I guess).

Hereby, I will like to express my sincere heartfelt gratitude to all those who made my 21st birthday celebration in UK a memorable and unforgettable one. It will and always be engraved in my heart. Regardless of whether the birthday wishes are from Singapore, UK or US, regardless of whether you gave me a surprise, regardless of whether you gave me a birthday card, regardless of whether you gave me a birthday present, regardless of whether you smashed my face into the cake, it is the thought that counts. Honestly speaking, my gratitude towards those who made my 21st a magical one cannot be expressed beyond words. I hope you know that and felt that.

Once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

♥ YA (:-)

lots and loads of ♥,
clarinda

(written on 15/05/2010)


evidence of my fat, round face..


Copyright © 2009 - you.blogspot.com - All rights reserved
Layout © www.pinaydoll.info